As fourth generation turkey farmers, we’ve been rearing poultry for more than 70 years. Flower Farm turkeys never leave the farm, from the day they hatch to the day our customers receive their carefully prepared bird.
Each of our Supreme Wirral Turkeys are specially boxed with a recipe leaflet and cooking instructions.
So how would we suggest cooking one of our birds? Here’s how…
- Remove the turkey from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature before cooking (about 2 hours)
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/430F/Gas Mark 7
- If you wish to stuff your turkey, prepare your favourite stuffing recipe and fill the neck cavity only
- For extra flavour place a cored Bramley apple and or peeled, quartered onion into the body cavity
- Sprinkle the bird with salt and pepper and place it breast side down in a roasting time an add 500ml water (the white breast meat cooks quicker than the dark leg meat and wings so it is best to cook breast side down – this should keep the juices in the breast and present it from drying)
- We recommend you do not cover the turkey with foil as this tends to steam the skin rather than roast it!
- In a pre-heated oven, cook the bird at 220C/430F/Gas Mark 7 for the first 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes, reduce the heat to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- 30 minutes before the end, turn the bird onto its back to brown the breast (the length of time you cook the bird depends on the size of the bird – see our handy guide below!)
- Pierce through the skin between breast and leg to allow juices to drain and the thighs to cook
- Add more water if necessary
- Season the breast
- Check regularly from now on
- Test with a fork on the inside of the thigh, ensuring that the clear juice comes out if the thigh when you pierce
- After removing from the oven allow to rest for 30 minutes before carving